The Periodical, Washington Spy, changed its name to the Hagerstown Herald and was a weekly publication.
The Daily Mail
The Daily Mail begins publication as a weekly. In the 1890s, it will begin publishing daily.
Hagerstown Daily News
M. Emmert Fechtig prints the area’s first daily newspaper, The Hagerstown Daily News.
The Evening Globe
Another daily newspaper arrives in the area: The Evening Globe, started by Ira Hayes, will be printed daily until the 1920s.
The Morning Herald
The Hagerstown Daily News changes owners and the becomes The Morning Herald. It moves into offices at 25 Summit Avenue. The Daily Mail moves its operations to the site where the Courthouse Annex stands today.
The Herald-Mail Company
The Herald-Mail Company is founded by Lewis T. Byron when he purchases both The Morning Herald and the Daily Mail.Mr. Byron will serve as publisher until his death in 1922. He is succeeded by his son-in-law, William Preston Lane, who would go on to serve as Governor of the State of Maryland between 1947 and 1951.
The Herald-Mail Company was purchased by Schurz Communications, a multi-media company headquartered in South Bend, IND.
The Herald-Mail Company moved to 100 Summit Avenue in December of 1979 and published The Morning Herald and The Daily Mail. The Sunday edition—The Herald-Mail—began in April 1982 and was a combined edition of the two newspapers. Eventually the morning and afternoon papers merged weekdays as well. Today, The Herald-Mail is published seven days a week.
The present building was designed by architect Arthur Golding of Pereira Associates in Los Angeles, CA.
Workmen from Hagerstown’s Blake Construction Company used 99 caissons—25 feet deep—to support the building in bedrock. They also poured 5,100 cubic yards of concrete. Three-thousand cubic yards were exposed with hydraulic hammers to reveal tan pigment and fractured multi-colored stones.
The architectural concrete gives the building a textured surface and a warm tone. Each square foot of “bush-hammer” took approximately three-quarters of an hour. The 44-foot high glass walls in the pressroom enabled passersby to view the printing of the newspaper when it was in operation.
More than a quarter mile of old stone fence from the Boonsboro area was used for the garden wall at the front of the building. Dry wall mortar was used so the aged stones would appear to be stacked together. More than 120,000 bricks were used in the patio and sidewalk areas along summit avenue and Antietam street.
In 2011, the printing of the newspaper was outsourced. It is currently printed in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
With the former press area now renovated for events, the building continues to serve as a reflection of the Herald-Mail’s faith in the community and commitment to the highest ideals of community service.